The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well – Hippocrates
Our growing love for fast food, avid interest in idiot box more than outdoors, stress and tension have led to a sudden surge in the number of diabetics across the globe. Uncontrolled sugar levels can damage kidneys, cause diabetic retinopathy, or even result in gangrene that may even require amputation of a body part. That is why diabetes is also called a “silent killer.”
This makes it really important for an individual to learn the tricks of living with diabetes and also to find ways to control it.
Diabetes is of mainly of two kinds – Type I & Type II. Additionally, gestational diabetes may develop in pregnant ladies. So if you too have been diagnosed with this disease, then here is a 5-step guide that will make it easier for you to live with diabetes:
* Early Detection Offers Maximum Protection – Living with diabetes becomes much simpler if you are able to detect this problem early.
Some of the common symptoms observed in patients suffering from diabetes are frequent urination, excessive thirst, sudden weight loss even without diet or exercise, tingling sensation in hands and feet, itchy skin, and excessive tiredness.
If you experience any of the above symptoms, get your blood sugar levels checked without any delay.
* Acceptance is the Key to Success: It is usually observed that the patients detected with diabetes are usually in a denial mode. Acceptance of the fact that you are suffering from the problem is half the battle won.
You also have to acknowledge the fact that now more attention needs to be given to your diet and physical exercise that will help you effectively deal with and control this problem.
It is also observed that people diagnosed with diabetes enjoy a longer and healthier life as they are more likely to take care of their diet and make suitable lifestyle changes.
* Proper Care Will Scare the Diabetes Monster: Once the patient is diagnosed with diabetes, he needs to get his blood sugar level checked regularly and also take medicines as per doctor’s prescription to control diabetes.
During the initial months, it is essential to see the physician regularly, as he will adjust your medicine doses and suggest suitable lifestyle changes, which will make living with diabetes much easier.
* Right Food, Regular Exercise Will Fill Your Life With Smiles: If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you need to stick to a strict diet and follow a regular exercise schedule. American Diabetes Association (ADA) website suggests that by consuming the right kind of food, you can control your blood sugar level and, in fact, reverse diabetes.
Some of the superfoods described for diabetes by ADA include whole grains, which are rich in fibers; berries, like strawberries and raspberries, which are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; green leafy vegetables and beans, which are the best sources of lean protein.
ADA also recommends consuming the right quantity of low fat dairy products and nuts rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which will help the patient, feel energetic and will also control the blood sugar level.
Obesity is one of the major causes of diabetes. Therefore, besides right food, regular cardiovascular exercises will enable you to burn fat and calories, helping you reach ideal blood sugar levels.
* Bid Adieu to Smoking and Drinking: Alcohol is nothing but fermented fruit juice, which can instantly cause your blood sugar level to shoot up. So if you are looking for healthy ways of living with diabetes, then getting rid of smoking and boozing habits should be on the top of your priority list.
Remember, if you want to control diabetes, you must first learn to control your urges and have a firm grip on your mind.
Living with diabetes is not a child’s play, but by following the tips mentioned in this article, you can surely lead a healthy life without having to feel that you are sitting on a ticking time bomb.